Monday 13 July 2015

How I Clean My Makeup Brushes

Cleaning your makeup brushes must be the least fun beauty related task, it is so boring and if you have a lot of brushes it can feel like it takes forever. Though it might be boring but it is so important, dirty brushes can carry bacteria which could cause you to get spots and blemishes. I am so bad with cleaning my brushes and I often leave it till the brushes are filthy which is gross I know and I need to do it more often! There are two different processes I use, and I should be spot cleaning my brushes every week and then deep cleaning them at least once a month.


Spot Clean
So this is the quick method which I would do once a week. It definitely is easier to clean the smaller brushes with this method rather than the big fluffy ones you would use to powder. The product I use to spot clean my brushes is the Mac Brush Cleanser which I have nearly run out of so if you know of any cheap ones then let me know. To spot clean I usually get a large cotton pad and apply a bit of the brush cleanser onto it, then I get my brush and I gently swirl it around. Sometimes I have to repeat this process especially with my foundation brushes just to get rid of as much makeup as I can.

Deep Clean
For a deep cleanse I use the Johnsons Baby Shampoo which is a great product to use because it's gentle and it's leaves my brushes feeling super soft. I start by dampening my brushes with warm water then put a pump of the Johnsons Baby Shampoo onto my hand then I start swirling the brush on the palm of my hand adding some more water to lather up the product then let it rinse away. I would also repeat that step if the brushes are super dirty and quite dense just to make sure you've cleaned the brushes properly. I do really want to invest in the sigma brush cleaning glove because it looks great and it helps to get rid of dirt in your brushes, it also keeps your hands from getting quite dry which they do when I clean my brushes so I have to use extra moisturiser to make them less dry!

When I've finally washed them all, I like squeeze out the excess water then lay them down on a towel to let them dry, usually overnight. One thing, remember to never dry them with the bristles pointing upwards, the water will seep to where the bristles are glued together and then they will all start to fall out which is the most annoying thing especially if you're applying your makeup and you get brush hair all over you face!

5 comments:

  1. Definitely need to try the spot clean method, I'm so lazy when it comes to washing brushes x


    Lucy | www.foreverseptemberr.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is exactly what i do but using anti bacterial soap. I'm going to try the johnsons baby!

    x,Abril

    The Color Palette

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post. I deep clean using antibacterial soap and also a bit of olive oil- it really helps break down the makeup residue and it conditions the brush hair. If you're after a good cheaper brush cleaner I recommend that Makeup Revolution Pro Hygience brush cleanser. Works marvellously and leaves them smelling really pretty. Plus it's so inexpensive you don't feel shy about using plenty! X

    Sarah | www.seriouslyshallow.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great tips, I hadn't really considered the water seeping into the glue. I usually use a combo of one teaspoon of normal shampoo, one pump of soap, and a dash of eucalyptus oil (fantastic from an antibacterial point of view). I mix them together with hot water in a cup and soak the brushes in it before swirling on a cheap silicone textured pad (much cheaper alternative for the glove) from Ebay and rinse, it works really well for me!
    Caitie x
    www.what-caitie-did.blogspot.com.au

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amazing post! I agree with the fact that its so boring but a necessity

    daniellelgreaves.blogspot.com xo

    ReplyDelete